Forums Latest Members

This really pisses me off! Swatch Group cuts parts supplies to external distributors (UK).

1. larryganz The cable guy Jun 25, 2014

This sucks, as I've already spent tens of thousands stocking up guns and ammo, and now I have to do the same with watch parts? That's gonna break the bank and use up any and all free time that I have. #%$&@!!!

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 25, 2014

Sounds like you take your watch security pretty seriously. ::rimshot::

3. hockeywatch Jul 26, 2014

As a member of EFTA Switzerland follows many of the rules of the EU. Unfortunately it is the EU which is allowing this practise and it has been challenged in the watch industry and the challenge failed. This practise is the norm now in the EU and the motor industry is an aberration not the norm. Independent companies fought for the right to maintain cars and access to parts, equipment and information in order to repair cars and due to this the motor industry has a block exemption from the relevant legislation which would allow them to act in the same way as Richemont, Swatch, et al. the block exemption in return for free parts supply allows motor manufacturers to restrict who can sell their cars. The block exemption also allows for the manufacture of pattern parts and the licensing of the part designs. There is also a chance that when the block exemption next comes up for review, can't remember when, that it will go the same way as the watch industry and the EU will allow it.

The way the law works is that it is not recognised as being monopolistic or anti competitive as the customer has a choice of many companies to buy their watches from, the relevant legislation really takes little account of the second hand market other than if you didn't like the situation you should of bought a watch from a different manufacturer. It takes little account of the manufacturer not making anyone aware up front that they will be locked in or that what is the point if everyone operates in the same way as effectively this is no choice at all.

It is no different in the US as the EU rules use the same tests to qualify this legislation as are used in the US and in fact they are referenced in some of the case studies relating to the EU laws.

Northernman likes this.
  4. Pasbru Jul 26, 2014

All stinks if you ask me!! :mad:

5. John R Smith Jul 26, 2014

The answer -

1. If possible,rationalise your collection to include only models containing one base calibre (330 or 500 or 26x or whatever)

2. Purchase at least one parts movement for each main calibre variant

3. Research which components wear and/or break for your chosen calibres

4. Stock up on new or NOS Omega branded components as (3) above before December 2015

5. Pour beer and relax . . . :cool:

citizenrich and Stewart H like this.
  6. wwhntr Jul 26, 2014

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but is this practice of monopolizing parts supplies going to apply to the US as well?

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 26, 2014

It is Swatch and it applies everywhere. Their aim is world domination and once they have achieved it, they are going to reveal that a certain Mr. Bloefeld is behind it all.

citizenrich and John R Smith like this.
  8. wwhntr Jul 26, 2014

I suspected that it would apply to the US also. I am pretty heavy into Speedmaster moonwatches, early '50s Constellations and Seamasters with cal 352, 354, 501, 505 mvts, and manual wind 30T2-267 mvts. I would appreciate some input on what Omega oem parts for cases and movements are prone to wear/breakage. I plan to stock up on some of these parts. Input???

9. drillzzz Jul 26, 2014

So should we service any watches that we have and let it get overhauled if it has been some time since its last service? New to collecting so this puts a damper on my enthusiasm

10. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 26, 2014

If you download the parts lists for your collected movements, you will see that there are base movements and calibre specific parts. For example, the 56x movements are all based on the 550.

Personally, I am stockpiling 55x/56x and 861 parts.

11. wwhntr Jul 26, 2014

"Personally, I am stockpiling 55x/56x and 861 parts."

Over the years I've had service work done it seems very few movement parts have worn out/broken. Please elaborate on which parts you plan to buy.

12. John R Smith Jul 26, 2014

There is no point whatever doing this blind. Talk to watchmakers and read their blogs, would be my advice. And then research which parts are available as generic substitutes, because you will likely still be able to get them after 2015. Given that generic does not worry you, this will include crystals, some mainsprings, and quite a selection of stems etc from the Bestfit range which are still in circulation. As long as we don't all get silly and panic-buy, suppliers like Ofrei and Cousins will hold stocks (of genuine Omega spares) for quite some time.

P.S. The part I see as being a real problem is crowns. It is pretty much impossible to second-guess in advance which models you might collect in future that might happen to need a new crown. At the moment I tend to rely on Cousins being able to come up with the correct part, all spanking new in its little Omega box.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  13. wwhntr Jul 26, 2014

Has there been any speculation that Omega might buy back stock from parts suppliers? Don't know this would be feasible for Swatch group, but it would eventually force repairs to be done by the company.

Rolex pulled parts accounts from stores/watchmakers that did not keep up with their requirements such as specific training, equipment, or tools. I know of several independent watchmakers that have kept up with their requirements, thus still have access to oem parts.

14. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 26, 2014

I grab movements when I see them at the right price.. There are certain parts that need replacing more often than others, but it is cheaper (and easier) to get the whole thing than the individual parts. If you have enough of them serviced, you will see what parts are replaced most often, so if you want to go for individual parts, that will give you a steer. Once the parts become unavailable, any part could be worth its weight in gold.

15. davidswiss Jul 27, 2014

Not sure if this has already been covered, but will this affect all the watch repairers in the UK ?
    I'm thinking of STS in Essex who've done very good work on most of my omegas in the past. Obviously they will have a reserve stock, but if Omega block spares supplies to them it will eventually kill the business and force us to use either Omega vintage in the Burlington arcade or Omega itself in Bienne, both of whom are very pricey.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2014

Well yes and no...if you really study those parts lists, you will see that there are some differences between the movements, and there is sort of a split at the introduction of the 563.

So for example if you need a new stem for a 562, it's the same stem as used on the 550. But if you want a 565 stem, it's actually based on the 563, so the 550 stem won't work. Another example is a main plate for a 562 - it's a 560 main plate, but the 565 main plate is actually the same as a 563 main plate.

The base movement that the part is from is right in the part number, so a stem for a 562 is a 550.1106, where the stem for the 565 is a 563.1106.

So if you are buying a movement for parts, if you have a 562 or lower then a 550 would be a decent option, but if you have a 563 or above, then you need at least the 563 if not a 565. Just don't expect to use all the parts from a 562 to repair a 565.

Cheers, Al

Stewart H likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2014

If the watchmaker or business has an account with Omega, have had their training, met their requirements, there is no indication that parts will be restricted at this time.

Cheers, Al

TLIGuy and Pasbru like this.
  18. davidswiss Jul 29, 2014

Thanks Al. Good news.

19. wwhntr Aug 19, 2015

1) Any updated information on when Omega is going to cut off supply houses in the US & Canada? I have heard that this is coming at the end of the year.

2) If so, does it mean supply houses such as Otto Frei in California will get to keep parts on hand or have to return to Omega?

3) What has happened to parts availability and prices in countries that Omega has already cut off supply houses?

(In the US, OEM Speedmaster crystal has more than doubled in price since May 2014! Kind of scary to think what will happen to parts prices when Omega does cut off independent supply houses!!!)

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2015

I'll try to answer the best I can...

1 - It's not just US and Canada - this is global. Anyway, I did read somewhere a supplier had stated that the letter they received from Swatch Group indicated that new orders would be stopped before December, so that any outstanding back orders could be brought in before the December cut off. I've tried to find that reference again but have not been able to find is yet. From my memory (which I do not trust fully) I think the cut-off was in September sometime for new orders.

2 - As far as I know, any parts they have in stock they will keep, unless they decide to sell them back to Swatch. That is the normal procedure when an account is closed with Swatch per the spare parts policy anyway.

3 - I don't think they have cut them off yet...

Cheers, Al